17 Nov Chickapea Shrimp Stir-Fry
Who doesn’t love a good stir-fry? We sure do, and this Chickapea Shrimp Stir-Fry is as simple as it is delicious, and healthy to boot! The beauty of this recipe is that you can use whatever leftover veggies are in the fridge. You can also prepare everything the night before for a quick dinner. Simply cook the pasta in advance, chop up the veggies, and refrigerate everything overnight.
Shrimp contains omega-3 fatty acids which can help lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure. The healthiest way to serve shrimp is with foods that are high in fibre. That makes adding Chickapea a no-brainer! Feel free to make this recipe your own. If you like a little heat, toss in a spoon of Sriracha. Fresh veggies and pasta is a winning combination with both kids and nutrition-conscious parents!
- 1 ounces package of Chickapea penne pasta 227g /8 spirals or shells can also be used
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp half of a small onion sliced
- 1 pound of raw medium-large shrimp peeled, deveined
- ½ cup carrots sliced into matchsticks
- 1 cup of bell peppers sliced into strips (red, yellow or orange)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ½ tbsp zucchini sliced thinly
- 1 -2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- tbsp Small handful of fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
- tbsp Shrimp Marinade
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon of Asian chili garlic sauce add more on less depending on the amount of heat you prefer in your dish
- tbsp Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine ingredients for marinade and add shrimp, tossing gently. Set aside.
Cook Chickapea penne pasta according to directions. Reserve one cup of pasta water, drain and rinse.
Meanwhile, in a large wok or frying pan, heat the oil, add the garlic and onion and stir-fry over a high heat until starting to soften. Add the bell peppers, carrots and broccoli, then cook for 2-3 mins. Add the prawns and zucchini and cook until the prawns are starting to turn pink.(2 minuteAdd cooked pasta and splash in the soy sauce, toss and heat until everything is cooked through.
If you like your stir-fry on the saucy side, add a ½ cup of pasta water and cook an additional 2 minutes)
Top with sesame seeds and fresh parsley. Serve.