15 Sep Chickapea Penne with Italian Sausage and Swiss Chard
A Little Touch of Italy with Chickapea!
Chickapea Pasta is proud to announce Robyn Gleason as our official Chickapea Chef! You can expect to see simple, healthy kitchen solutions that are full of taste and ready quickly so you can keep up with your busy schedule. Chickapea penne with Italian sausage and Swiss chard is Robyn’s first recipe with us is sure to be a home run with the family!
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces Chickapea Pasta or whole wheat pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces hot or regular Italian sausage links casings removed, about 4
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 leaves bunch rainbow Swiss chard roughly chopped (stems and separated)
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 1 basket of cherry tomatoes about 15 -20
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese about 2 ounces
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to directions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and chard stems; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes start breaking apart, about 5 minutes.
Add the chard leaves to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start wilting, about 3 minutes. Add the pasta, the reserved cooking water and 1/4 cup cheese; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with the remaining cheese.